Local Law Enforcement encourages Memorial Day safety
Did you know that Memorial Day is one of the deadliest holidays of the year? Just like Thanksgiving, the fourth of July, and New Years – Memorial Day lends itself to increased traveling and partying.
According to AAA – more than 41.5 million American are expected to travel this Memorial Day. This is an estimated 2 million more than years past!
“AAA expects to rescue more than 340,000 motorists at the roadside this Memorial Day weekend. Dead batteries, lockouts and flat tired will be the leading reasons AAA members may experience car trouble”
– AAA Newsroom, https://newsroom.aaa.com
In order to combat this additional traffic volume and the increase in travelers, Law Enforcement is stepping up to keep the roads safe. Operation C.A.R.E (a Combined Accident Reduction Effort) is being initiated in several states. The program was originated in 1977 as a collaboration between the Michigan State Police and the Indiana State Police and is one of the United State’s longest running traffic safety programs. Operation C.A.R.E. will increase the number of Officer’s on patrol in order to target speeding, aggressive driving and distracted driving.
Additional Officers may also be on the road through the Governor’s Highway Safety ‘Click it or Ticket’ program as well as several DUI patrol programs.
Some Memorial Day Safety Tips before you hit the road:
- Give your car a quick look over.
- Have your battery tested.
- Look for any fluid leaks.
- Check your tire pressure and tire condition before you leave.
- Practice patience and courtesy.
- Major travel delays are expected, so leave early to plan for these delays and keep your cool during unexpected traffic stops.
- Be cognizant of Police Officers and First Responders.
- Give Officer’s the right of way. Be aware that with increased travelers, there is an increased risk of crashes and incidents.
- Don’t drink and drive.
- Remember the real reason for the holiday – honoring the sacrifice of service men and women everywhere.
Happy Memorial Day from the L-Tron team! Enjoy the sunshine and stay safe.
Interested in hearing more safe driving tips? Read our blog on distracted driving (and how to limit it).
Questions? Interested in learning more?
Get in touch with the L-Tron team.