Competition for new and better technology is being met with threats from the global supply chain—counterfeit computer parts.
Both private businesses and the military are facing the challenge of protecting the quality of the components they’re using in their electronic equipment:
- Recent raids in Singapore uncovered a stash of more than 25,000 counterfeit parts, estimated to be worth $1.87 million.
- According to the Semiconductor Industry Association, counterfeit parts cost American semiconductor businesses more than $7.5 billion per year in lost revenue.
- The International Chamber of Commerce says approximately 80% of consumers in developed and developing countries purchase counterfeit and pirated products.
- The practice of counterfeiting parts costs the world more than $1 trillion in lost revenue and 2.5 million jobs.
Counterfeit parts pose a threat, not only to the fiscal bottom line of the manufacturers involved, but also the safety of the products and the potential damage resulting from a recall
- Labels can be altered to change the shelf life or even the performance quality of the part.
- The part number, date code, or country of origin might not match the other documentation.
- Packaging or placement within the package might differ slightly.
- The label might be smudged from re-marking.
Minute details might not be easily visible—like excess solder— making it easier for faulty parts to slip through the production line.
An enterprise labeling solution provides the traceability that can protect the integrity of your products.
- Establish a traceability labeling protocol that incorporates the “rules” for labeling your parts.
- Use a tamper-proof or tamper-evident label format and media.
- Produce barcode labels on a 600 dpi printer, like the Zebra ZT410, that can produce a barcode as tiny as a quarter-inch with crystal clarity to be readable.
- Choose label media (e.g., Zebra Z-Ultimate 4000T) that will stand up to conditions across the supply chain (e.g., extreme temperatures). Learn about choosing the right label in the next blog titled “Traceability Only Works When the Labels Work.”
There is a worldwide initiative to beat counterfeiting, but you need to do your part. Protect your products across the supply chain with better traceability labeling solutions. We would be happy to develop the right solution for your specific challenges.
Want to create your own barcode label? Use our free online barcode generator here.
Call 800-830-9523 or Email info@L-Tron.com
About the Author
Elyse is a member of L-Tron’s Content Education Team. She is a proud RIT Alum with a passion for digital content education, creation and data collection solutions. She dances to any beat, even songs in her head, and could eat breakfast food all day long. She can be reached at (800)-830-9523 or info@L-Tron.com