It all started with standard retail LCDs, but I still never saw this coming….. Advantech Industrial Widescreen HMIs. I expected it would take a lot longer for industrial manufacturers to get on-board with newer technology due to the amount of time and money required to make the move. Apparently, those manufacturers have seen the value of doing so, and I agree. For this reason, today I’m going to share 5 advantages of Industrial Widescreen HMI units.
- Ability: There are currently three popular Industrial Widescreen HMI types available. The first is a flat panel monitor, which can be combined with a rack mount/wall mount/desktop PC or an embedded PC. The second type is a touch panel computer, which is a fully configured and operational fanless unit, which contains newly expanded I/O in the form of additional Ethernet, COM and USB ports. In the past, you’d find one of each on a touch panel computer but due to the widescreen feature, the space added has allowed for expansion. The last type available is a panel PC, which is a bit more rugged that the touch panel computer, and contains as much, if not more, external I/O and features PCI/PCIe expansion support.
- Durability: The front bezel on the Industrial Widescreen HMI meets IP66 testing criteria, making these units dust-tight and resistant from powerful water jets. It’s always crucial as you get wider or bigger to avoid sacrificing the quality or durability of a unit. In this case, the robust design also features a magnesium alloy front panel and the backlight has a life of 50,000 hours. Also keep in mind that an Industrial product is advantageous in its longer availability of 5-7 years, enabling standardization, while lasting at least 10 years in the field.
- Touch Capabilities: These units include a projected capacitive touch screen, which can support a 10 point multi-touch application. Please keep in mind that this is Windows 7/8-based and will utilize USB interface. These screens are also “truly flat” in definition and the newer units being released accommodate full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution!
- Viewing Area: Whether it’s 15”, 18.5” or 21.4”, the widescreen HMIs available include a 16:9 screen display, which will increase your viewing area by 40%. You don’t necessarily need to get bigger to get better anymore. Although the changes still affect cut-out dimensions, they enable the user to stay within a specified form factor, making it easier to utilize these units with their mounting arms and applications.
- Design: The design of the Widescreen HMI was made with the user in mind. They are lighter and slimmer, enabling a single user to wall or panel a unit. These units bring the look and feel closer to a retail model without sacrificing the durability factor.
If you aren’t sure which screen would work best with your application or want to know more about the advantages of using one with your application, please contact me at 800-830-9523, ext. 126 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.