Throughout the year, there are so many special days, weeks and months that are dedicated to recognizing important individuals, groups and causes. One such month is happening now.
But, in my opinion, child abuse prevention shouldn’t need its own month.
Instead, child abuse prevention should be a way of life. A 365-day-a-year thing.
Fortunately, there are people out there who feel the same way as I do and have put their ideas into action by establishing wonderful organizations that work to stop child abuse on a daily basis, because it truly “takes a village”.
Here are a few of the well-known organizations in the U.S:
- Based in California, the American Society for the Positive Care of Children (SPCC) is a national nonprofit charity working to cultivate change by “giving a voice to the ‘voiceless – the abused and neglected children in America.”
- Kids First Child Abuse Treatment Center, located in North Carolina, provides comprehensive services for children who have been sexually or physically abused or neglected.
- Local to L-Tron in Western New York, is the Bivona Child Advocacy Center, delivering “child abuse response, healing and prevention through collaborative service, awareness, education and leadership.”
As a company, we feel that our local Advocacy Center is an asset to the community and try to support the Center’s efforts whenever possible.
- This past fall, L-Tron sponsored Bivona’s “Cheers for Children” fundraiser.
- From April 27-28, 2017, we will be attending our second year at the 9th Annual Bivona Child Abuse Summit, an event that provides training for social workers, law enforcement, mental health and medical professional, school personnel, day care providers and more.
We know that child advocates, such as Child Protective Services caseworkers, have their work cut out for them – to say the least. Caseload numbers are soaring due to an overwhelming need in our communities. Research says that caseworkers spend upwards of 40-50% of their time completing and processing piles of paperwork. Nationwide, there is a high caseworker turnover rate.
As automation specialists, we are pleased to do our part for the Social Services community by providing the ChildFirst Mobile Solution, a simple, easy-to-use method of eliminating manual paperwork and completing reports. We support local child advocacy programs, as well as local Law Enforcement.initiatives to help the youth in our community.
“Safety and security don’t just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear.”
— Nelson Mandela