What is Human Rights Day?
Human Rights Day is recognized annually on December 10th. This is the day that the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Currently, this declaration includes over 292 resolutions outlining explicit rights that are essential to all human beings.
In 2010, the United Nations General Assembly recognized (explicitly) the human right to water and sanitation. The UN “acknowledged that clean drinking water and sanitation are essential to the realization of all human rights” (www.un.org). The resolution calls upon states and international organizations to “provide financial resources, help capacity-building and technology transfer to help countries, in particular developing countries, to provide safe, clean accessible and affordable drinking water and sanitation for all.”
The UN General Assembly further defines the human right to clean water;
- Sufficient: According to the World Health Organization, between 50-100 liters of water (per day) are required for basic needs.
- Safe: Water for personal use must be free of micro-organisms, chemicals and radio-logical hazards.
- Acceptable: Water must be of an acceptable color, odor and taste.
- Accessible: A water source should be within 1,000 meters of a home and collection time should not exceed 30 minutes.
- Affordable: Water and water facilities must be affordable for all. Water costs should not exceed 3% of household income.
L-Tron’s Partnership with World Concern – how can you help?
Now that we’ve answered the question – what is human rights day – how can you do something to make a difference? This year, L-Tron has partnered with World Concern. World Concern is an organization that helps people and villages in remote, drought prone areas by providing clean water, sanitation and hygiene training. Currently, World Concern has clean water project efforts in Chad, Haiti, Kenya, Laos, Myanmar, Somalia and Sri Lanka. Our mission is to educate and raise funds until every single person in the world has access to a basic need: safe, clean water.
We are proud to share that over the past 2 months, we have raised $4,300 (which translates to $8,600 after matching grants) towards providing clean water to those who need it.
If you would like to #RAKtheday and to be a force of good this holiday season (and for human rights day), please visit the link below;
Questions? Do you have a greater understanding of what is human rights day?
Share with us on social media or make a donation to the World Concern Clean Water Initiative.
Get in touch with the L-Tron team.
Call 800-830-9523 or Email info@L-Tron.com